Monday, March 30, 2009

Wire-d

Actually that title probably deserves the cliche achievement I attached below. It's been difficult to read a newspaper without bumping into an article about "the best show on television" (TM) - today I even found myself picking up a LondonPaper to read what actually turned out to be a rather good, if largely unoriginal, piece on its appeal - I just hope it's the sort of thing that gets people tuning in tonight.

I am glad that the overexposure hasn't turned me into the sort of person who, when something niche they were into strikes it big, turns into a massive hater, purely on principle. It was touch and go at the start of season 5, but I'm actually rather excited at the whole thing being blitzed on the BBC, an episode a night for - presumably - the next four or five months.

It really is a stand-out show (there's a new thought), the TV equivalent of a song like 'Stuck Inside of Mobile...' or a film like 'The Godfather' or a book like 'Red Storm Rising' that you can listen, watch or read again and again and again and again and still get a slight thrill when hearing the opening harmonica, seeing the opening wedding or experiencing the opening terrorist attack on an Azerbaijani oil refinery. It's one of those things you feel lucky about encountering whenever that happens.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home