Sunday, March 29, 2009

Whore



I'm within tantalising proximity to the 'magic' 10k achievement point tally, which has led to me booting Left 4 Dead out of my Xbox (for what seems like the first time in ages) to try and hoover up some cheap points.

I've only rarely gone out of my way before to get these points, so hadn't quite realised how fun it can be. For instance storming the mock-up ship at the start of COD4 takes on a puzzle element as you try to trim a few seconds off your run each time (ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED: NEW SQUADRON RECORD). This was one I actually picked up a while ago, but today I had a quick go at COD:WAW, mainly because I dimly recalled some achievements based on sniping a German general. Time pressures intruded, so I only picked up a measly 15 point bonus (ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED: THE PROFESSIONAL) and that was only thanks to some consultation with Gamefaqs. Just goes to show, there's no intriguing puzzle that impatience and access to the internet can't ruin.

I do understand the achievement whore mindset a bit better - when you're actually going for a self-imposed milestone (a certain proportion of points for each game, or a total of points overall) each step which takes you closer is exciting. It can also be a rather insidious tie to the Xbox above other platforms - why play the same game on PS3 when there's a chance to add to your gamerscore?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home